Fried Spring Rolls with U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 40 g U.S. Yellow Split Peas
- 200 g Small, Raw Tiger Prawns
- 100 g Minced Pork Meat
- 40 g Taro, cut in thin strips (julienne)
- 30 g Wood Ear Mushroom, sliced
- 20 g Cellophane Noodles, cut 1cm
- 30 g Leek, diced and sautéed
- 30 g Coriander, chopped
- 1 ea Egg white, separated
- To Taste Black Pepper powder
- To Taste Salt
- 8 ea Rice paper
- 1ltr Oil for Frying
- 50 g Lettuce
- 100 g Cucumber
- 100 g Fresh Herbs (Thai Basil, Mint, Purple Asian Basil)
Ingredients for Nuoc Cham (Fish Dipping Sauce):
- 150 ml Water from Young Coconuts
- 20 g Sugar
- 15 ml Vinegar
- 30 ml Fish sauce
- 15 g Garlic, chopped
- 15 g Red Bird Chili, chopped
- 50 g Pickle Juliennes (Vietnamese radish and carrot pickles)
For fried spring roll:
- Clean and soak U.S. Yellow Split Peas overnight, minimum 1 hour. Drain and wash.
- Boil the U.S. Yellow Split Peas in fresh water until tender.
- Cool in the cooking liquid then drain.
- Peel 8 ea shrimps, keeping only the tail attached.
- The remaining shrimps peel completely and dice.
- Mix all ingredients, pork, taro, mushrooms, noodles and coriander with half of the egg white.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the rice paper flat on the working surface and soften with a little water.
- Place the stuffing on one end and place one prawn with the tail on top.
- Roll half and fold in the two sides leaving the prawn tail sticking out.
- Roll finish.
- Using the remaining half egg white moisten the edges and “glue” the roll tight.
- Deep fry at 170oC until nice golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
For the Dipping Sauce:
- Bring the coconut water, sugar, fish sauce and vinegar to a boil.
- Set aside to cool.
- Then add garlic, chili and pickles.
- Serve on the side.
Arrange the vegetables: Cucumbers, lettuce and herbs in basket or other serving dish and serve on the side.