“Khot” Cake with Greasyback Shrimp and U.S Red Lentils
- 40 g U.S. Red Lentils
- 150 g Blue Tail Greasyback Shrimp, head, tail and legs removed (Sand Shrimp, Metapenaeus intermedius)
- 100 g “Khot” Cake Flour Mix
- 200 ml Fresh coconut milk
- 30 g Spring onions, sliced
- 30 g Oil
- 50 g Beansprouts, Root removed, cut 1cm long
- To Taste Black Pepper powder
- To Taste Seasoning powder
- 50 g Lettuce
- 100 g Cucumber
- 100 g Fresh Herbs (Thai Basil, Mint, Purple Asian Basil)
Ingredients for Nuoc Cham (Fish Dipping Sauce):
- 150 ml Water from Young Coconuts
- 20 g Sugar
- 15 ml Vinegar
- 30 ml Fish sauce
- 15 g Garlic, chopped
- 15 g Red Bird Chili, chopped
- 50 g Pickle Juliennes (Vietnamese radish and carrot pickles)
For “Khot” cake:
- Wash the U.S. Red Lentils and drain.
- Boil the U.S. Red Lentils in fresh water until tender and cool in the cooking liquid.
- Boil the shrimps and set cool.
- Mix the “Khot” Flour with the coconut milk.
- Rest for 30 minutes, then add the sliced spring onions.
- Heat the “Khot” cake mold to high temperature and a little oil.
- Pour “Khot” cake batter in to the mold, add the beansprouts, shrimps and sprinkle with U.S. Red Lentils.
- Cover and cook.
- When the cakes starting to get transparent, add a little more to make it crispy.
- Once done remove from the mold and arrange on a serving dish covered with banana leaves.
For the Dipping Sauce:
- Bring the coconut water, sugar, fish sauce and vinegar to a boil.
- Set aside to cool.
- Then add garlic, chili and pickles.
- Serve on the side.
Arrange the cleaned and washed vegetables: Cucumbers, lettuce and herbs in basket or other serving dish and serve on the side.